There are so many custom ROMs available in the market for users to try. Downloading the files is easy but the problem occurs when we want to install them. To install these ROMs first we need to unlock the bootloader. In some brands like Google Pixel and OnePlus, this part is easy compared to Xiaomi. Back in time to unlock the bootloader in Xiaomi Phones, we were given a proper reason for doing this but now things are changed a little.
Through this article, we would like to guide you through the whole process of unlocking the bootloader.
- Make sure your device is in proper condition either hardware, software, or body.
- Install Mi USB drivers and platform tools on your PC.
- Use an Official MIUI ROM and have a Xiaomi account.
- Use mobile data using a sim card.
Bootloader: How to unlock on Xiaomi Phones
Step 1: Phone
- Go to Settings » About phone » MIUI version.
- Tap repeatedly on the MIUI version until you see the pop-up You are now a developer!
- Go back to Settings, click on Additional settings, then Developer options.
- Enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging.
- Bind your Xiaomi account to your phone. Tap Mi Unlock status » Agree » Add account and device. Make sure your device can connect to the internet using mobile data.
- Once the account is successfully bound, you should get a message Added successfully. Mi account is associated with this device now.
- Now turn off your phone, press and hold the Volume Down key and the Power button to enter Fastboot mode.
- Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable.
Step 2: PC
- Download and launch the Mi Unlock on your PC and sign in to your Xiaomi account (Email/Phone/Xiaomi Account and Password). Make sure your phone is in Fastboot mode and connected to a PC.
- The server will check whether the Xiaomi account is bound to your phone or not.
- You have already done that on the phone, so you should get Phone connected message on Mi Unlock. If you get Not connected to the phone message, reinstall Mi USB driver and try again.
- Tap on Unlock » Unlock anyway. On your first attempt, Mi Unlock will flash the message Couldn’t unlock.
- Please unlock it 168 hours later. Follow the timer/waiting period to unlock successfully.
- Once the waiting period is over, use Mi Unlock and click on Unlock » Unlock anyway again. It will then unlock the bootloader of your phone.
- Once the bootloader is unlocked, your phone should reboot automatically. If it doesn’t, tap on Reboot’s phone.